[Videolib] [Fwd: cinema studies takes questions from the media]

Steve Fesenmaier (fesenms@wvlc.lib.wv.us)
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:12:33 -0500

--------------267365A3B25394C18A2A7510

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:23:17 -0500
From: Steve Fesenmaier <mystery12@charter.net>
Subject: cinema studies takes questions from the media

--------------080605080708030203000604

Film Vol 24 Issue 1163 <http://www.citypages.com/archive/24/1163/>
PUBLISHED 3/19/03
<http://www.citypages.com/databank/24/1163/article11132.asp>
HOME: www.citypages.com <http://www.citypages.com/>

Up The Academy

Cinema studies takes questions from the 'media'

by Derek Nystrom

We academics generally know that the titles of our papers often sound
ridiculous. In fact, we generally know that, to the outside observer,
the papers themselves often sound ridiculous. But never let it be said
that we don't know how to poke fun at ourselves. I mean, no scholar who
refers to the "oeuvre" of the goofy Cottage Grove native in American
Pie--as U Mass-Amherst's Jon Lupo did recently at the Minneapolis
Hilton, presenting "'Stifler's a Fag!': Queerness and Masculinity in the
Films of Seann William Scott" as part of the Society for Cinema and
Media Studies conference--does so with an entirely straight face. So the
next time you read a sneering article in the New Republic that makes fun
of, say, "Cruising's Masculine Fantasies and the Class Unconscious of
S/M"--the title of, ahem, the paper that I presented at the
conference--just remember that the scholar has likely beaten the
snickering scribe to the punch.

The annual Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS) affair brings
hundreds of film, TV, radio, and digital media scholars from around the
world to present their recent work, screen some hard-to-find films and
videos, and compare the hundred or so shades of black in which the
participants inevitably tend to be clad. And with as many as a dozen
three- or four-paper panels taking place simultaneously, it also brings
some tough decisions: Indeed, 10 days later I still regret missing
"'It's Not Yet Time to Suck Each Other's Dicks': (Dis)Articulating Male
Homosocial Desire with the Tarantino DVDs," as well as...uh, "Animal
Sex: Showing and Telling." (Hey--if the academy can withstand Stifler's
penetration, why shouldn't it free Willy?) This year's events also
included a workshop on the influence of digital technology on film
studies pedagogy, a paper on "youth music" in early '60s TV, not one but
two panels on new Hong Kong cinema, and yet another consideration of
Claire Denis's already canonized Beau travail. It's enough to make the
average attendee remove his fashion-forward spectacles and rub his
bloodshot eyes in frustration.

But what do people actually talk about in these panels? Well, this year
they tended to talk about the event's new name. Founded in 1959 as the
Society for Cinema Studies, the organization added "and Media" to its
letterhead in 2002, causing many participants to wonder what this means
for the study of cinema, and perhaps even for the cinema itself. As
University of Minnesota prof John Mowitt put it during one panel: "If
the very change in the name of SCS, now SCMS, is given its full weight,
then might it not make sense to say that the disciplinary object of
cinema studies is fast being overtaken by something called 'media'?"
(Sure enough, the death of cinema--if not of the Twin Cities' cultural
reputation--could be found in the appearance of the Mary Tyler Moore
statue on the cover of this year's conference program.) Similarly, film
historian Tom Gunning warned against "dissolving" the study of film into
what is often called "visual culture"--an appellation under which "media
studies" is practiced in various academic departments.

The irony--which, to be fair, Gunning himself noted--is that this latter
caution was offered in the context of a presentation that described how
the viewers of early cinema would have been trained to understand movies
as a sort of optical illusion due to their familiarity with other
"trick" diversions such as the phantasmagoria, a sort of proto-hologram
technology. In other words, Gunning showed how we can better grasp
cinema's effects by understanding its relationship to other types of
visual culture--that is, to other media. (Maybe next year some
enterprising grad student will proffer the paradigmatic connection
between Mary's tossed hat and the bone in 2001.)

In fact, the society has had papers on television, radio, and other
media for many years now, and so the name change is more or less an
acknowledgment of what has already happened. Still, as someone who has
spent the last few semesters trying to explain the aesthetic and
industrial differences between film and television to students who've
grown up watching movies mostly on TV screens (or on laptops), I
understand the concern. The addition of the "M" to the SCMS undeniably
signals the shrinking influence of our beloved "C." Indeed, a few more
years of Britney Spears papers might leave some SCMS members wondering,
"Dude, where's my discipline?"

Film Vol 24 Issue 1163 <http://www.citypages.com/archive/24/1163/>
PUBLISHED 3/19/03
<http://www.citypages.com/databank/24/1163/article11132.asp>
HOME: www.citypages.com <http://www.citypages.com/>

City Pages is the Online News and Arts Weekly of the Twin Cities

--------------080605080708030203000604

Film · Vol 24 · Issue 1163 · PUBLISHED 3/19/03
HOME: www.citypages.com

Up The Academy

[...]

begin:vcard
n:Fesenmaier;Stephen L.
tel;home:Outside WV - 304-558-3978 X2015
tel;work:1-800-642-9021 ext. 2015 inside WV
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.wvlc.lib.wv.us
org:Library Development;West Virginia Library Commission
adr:;;1900 Kanawha Blvd. East;Charleston;West Virginia;25305;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:fesenms@wvlc.lib.wv.us
title:State Data Coordinator
fn:State Data Coordinator