Re: [Videolib] a slightly different copyright question

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:31:48 -0500

--=====================_27242293==.ALT

Jessica, (or anyone else who can answer),

On many occasions, I've heard mention of short clips and their use, but
I've never found the formula for determining the length. I also have not
found within the text of the law, the exclusion or permission that provides
for or dissuades the use, thusly.

Part of my Media Center Software provides the capability to preview a clip
of a particular title, but I truthfully don't know how long of a clip I am
allowed to provide, nor have I found the exclusion within the Copyright Act.

As Scott said, as if we don't have ENOUGH copyright questions...

Thanks,

Mark
At 02:14 PM 3/18/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Provided the clips are relatively short say under two minutes of a feature
>film I don't think you would have any problem
>--
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>
> > From: "Scott Lehman" <scottl@evpl.org>
> > Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:22:09 -0600
> > To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
> > Subject: [Videolib] a slightly different copyright question
> >
> > Just because we don't have ENOUGH copyright questions come up on this
> list...
> >
> > We are in the process of building a huge new Central library that should
> > open to the public next year. The building will have multiple television
> > screens throughout the building, as well as in the a/v department. Those
> > screens will show library information, but the question of what else will
> > be shown has come up.
> >
> > Besides collection development, I also produce some videos at our in-house
> > video production facilities, so we may create some of the content
> > ourselves. But here is the question: people in administration are going to
> > want to show clips from movies and videos to promote items in our
> > department, much like you would see in your local Blockbuster or video
> > store. I know this could be a tricky scenario legally, because attaining
> > rights for every single clip would be next to impossible. Do video stores
> > like Blockbuster, who obviously have their own closed-circuit TV
> > "stations," have deals with movies studios to do this? Does anyone else
> > have any experience with this type of thing? I'm wondering if studios are
> > more open to this kind of viewing, since it IS promoting their product.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any insight this list might be able to offer.
> >
> > -Scott

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8