Re: [Videolib] a slightly different copyright question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:30:59 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3130846259_22358417_MIME_Part

From: MileFilms@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:15:31 EST
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] a slightly different copyright question

In a message dated 3/18/03 3:08:35 PM, jrosner@kino.com writes:

Provided the clips are relatively short say under two minutes of a feature
film I don't think you would have any problem

This is from Jessica!!!??? Are we sure this isn't really from the Maria
clone from Metropolis? Are the Cubs really going to win this year? Stay
tuned... (Yeah, we ALL know the answer to the last question, but it's still
spring training, the sun is shining, the grass is green, and so let's not
ruin it for her and Dusty Baker.)

I agree with her that you probably would not get in trouble, but I'm
guessing it's not the legal opinion. I would suspect you would have problems
if the studios found out.

Dennis Doros

Well things are looking up now that there is no Piazza to worry about for
the first three games.
Now back to the issue at hand, why would short clips not be fair use? This
is not commercial exploitation and I am assuming the library is not charging
( hope that was a correct guess)
I always understood that brief clips without commercial purposes would be
fair use
Alas contrary to popular belief I am really kind hearted re copyright.

Jessica