Re: [Videolib] DVD wear and closed stacks

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.EDU)
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:02:23 -0800

Jeff,
We lend to students, staff, faculty, and community borrowers, i want
the stuff to go out to who ever wants it. We do not have a huge
collection, just 225 titles, but many are well used, especially the
Godfather and Crouching Tiger. As much as I can I move the discs to a
safer container. I like the Amaray cases, the one with the yin/yang
shaped button. We also use disk shields as well, which I think
increases the stability of the disc. We clean when we notice they are
dirty. I have also begun a constant cleaning program where two students
go through the collection and check the state of the discs. Judging by
the responses I have recieved, I am knocking on wood every day because I
think we are lucky.
John

>>> clarkjc@jmu.edu 03/18/03 09:08AM >>>
John,

I'll be curious to see the responses from other academic listmembers.

Frankly, closed stacks for us reduce any theft concern--but not
mishandling
of DVDs. Frequently circulated ones require cleaning and possible
scratch
repair, usually at the point where a borrower complains they had a
problem.

Is there anything unusual about whom your collection is loaned to, or
how
it's used? Or are you, indeed, really lucky? (Or me especially
unlucky?)

Jeff

--On Monday, March 17, 2003 10:46 AM -0800 John Streepy
<John.Streepy@cwu.EDU> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I' like to see some opinions on this. We use a closed stack system
for
> our AV. The reasons behind it are numerous, the most being that the
> collection was once not part of the library so it is not listed with
LC
> classifications and it is cheaper not to reconfigure the security
system
> and buy av safe strips. We have been circulating DVDs for about two
> years now and have had hardly any problem at all with playback,
losses,
> etc. (besides the problems of a library OPAC that is not user
friendly
> for av materials) I am wondering whether I should just knock on
wood
> and be happy that I don't have these problems, or is it an off shoot
of
> the closed stack stystem. Do others use closed stacks and have many
> problems?
> Thanks
> John
>
> John H. Streepy