RE: [Videolib] DVD wear and closed stacks

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:42:49 -0600

Problems with closed stacks? Or problems with DVDs?
By "closed stacks" do you mean in-house use only, not just that you have
to fetch the DVDs for patrons?

The only difference between open and closed stacks on DVD damage is that
they probably don't circulate as often as they might if in an open stack
evironment...
If the patrons abuse the DVDs it's not while they're in the stacks.

Barb

-----Original Message-----
From: John Streepy [mailto:John.Streepy@cwu.EDU]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 12:46 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] DVD wear and closed stacks

Hi all,
I' like to see some opinions on this. We use a closed stack system for
our AV. The reasons behind it are numerous, the most being that the
collection was once not part of the library so it is not listed with LC
classifications and it is cheaper not to reconfigure the security system
and buy av safe strips. We have been circulating DVDs for about two
years now and have had hardly any problem at all with playback, losses,
etc. (besides the problems of a library OPAC that is not user friendly
for av materials) I am wondering whether I should just knock on wood
and be happy that I don't have these problems, or is it an off shoot of
the closed stack stystem. Do others use closed stacks and have many
problems?
Thanks
John

John H. Streepy