[Videolib] Duplicating 3/4'' to 1/2''

Deg Farrelly (DEG.FARRELLY@asu.edu)
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:38:57 -0700

I've said it here before, and I will continue to say it....

US Copyright Law *SPECIFICALLY* grants permission to libraries to duplicate
materials in their collections when:

the original is worn, damaged or in an obsolete format (3/4" is generally
regarded as obsolete)
a *reasonable* effort has been made to find a *new* replacement copy at a
*fair* price

IF you meet these provisions, you do NOT need to track down the copyright
holder and seek permission to make these copies.

While some on this list will vehemently argue against me on this...
I stand behind the copyright law, chapter and verse: Title 17. Chapter 1.
Sec.108.

deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Media/Communications Studies/Women's Studies
Arizona State University West
P.O. Box 37100
Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
Phone: 602.543.8522