Re: Permission to use frames from film

MileFilms@aol.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:27:54 -0800 (PST)

--part1_18c.1709cc12.2b9e40bc_boundary

In a message dated 3/10/03 2:16:37 PM, rpancoe@mail.colgate.edu writes:
> Help!=A0 A professor has asked me how he can get permission to use=20
> frames he wants to capture from a few different films in a publication he=20
> is writing.=A0 All I know is that most are older films, one more recent.=
=A0=20
>=20
Well, first, he definitely hasn't given you enough details about the films=20
themselves (foriegn, Hollywood, independent) and the publication (book,=20
magazine, just North America or World distributed). There's been controversy=
=20
on this website or Screen-L about this recently--whether they can be treated=
=20
like stills or not. I definitely believe frame enlargements are protected as=
=20
part of the copyrighted work but some professors have gotten away with using=
=20
frame blow-up and not getting permission for them.=20

If it's a foreign film and the publication is only for the US and Canada, yo=
u=20
probably can deal with the US distributor. If it's a Hollywood film or you=20
need oversea's rights, you would have to go to the studio or the producer wh=
o=20
owns the rights to the film. Basically, he's going to have do his homework=20
and/or talk to his publisher if he has one.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_18c.1709cc12.2b9e40bc_boundary

In a message dated 3/10/03 2:16:37 PM, rpancoe@mail.colgate.edu writes:

     Help!=A0 A professor has asked me h= ow he can get permission to use frames he wants to capture from a few differ= ent films in a publication he is writing.=A0 All I know is that most are old= er films, one more recent.=A0

Well, first, he definitely hasn't giv= en you enough details about the films themselves (foriegn, Hollywood, indepe= ndent) and the publication (book, magazine, just North America or World dist= ributed). There's been controversy on this website or Screen-L about this re= cently--whether they can be treated like stills or not. I definitely believe= frame enlargements are protected as part of the copyrighted work but some p= rofessors have gotten away with using frame blow-up and not getting permissi= on for them.

If it's a foreign film and the publication is only for the US and Canada, yo= u probably can deal with the US distributor. If it's a Hollywood film or you= need oversea's rights, you would have to go to the studio or the producer w= ho owns the rights to the film. Basically, he's going to have do his homewor= k and/or talk to his publisher if he has one.