Re: DVD wear and tear

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:52:18 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_20598692==.ALT

My recommendation is...patience.

Non-moving Digital Media is right around the corner. Once viable, the only
issues will most likely be wear of the contacts, but...the file can be
moved to another storage device. The market is moving to another state of
flux, with a standardized format yet to be chosen (or quite possibly, yet
to be developed). Rest assured, DVD is a great transitional medium, but it
is not the "beat-all-ends-all", due to it's fragility, and it's
inadaptability to real-world scenarios.

The next couple of years is guaranteed to be very interesting in this
market. If you are dealing with materials that are for a classroom setting,
you should be considering a digital delivery of your wares. "Whirligigs"
and spinning formats are well on their way, similar to 16mm, to that big
library archive in the sky.

At 09:11 AM 3/10/03 -0800, you wrote:

>At Western Washington University's Wilson Library we have been adding DVDs
>to our collection for the last couple of years. Initially we had hoped to
>eventually migrate our VHS collection to DVD - misguidedly believing
>that disks would be less vulnerable to damage than VHS tapes. Now I'm no
>longer sure this is reasonable direction.
>
>Our video collection is on open shelves and parts if it, especially the
>feature films, circulate quite heavily. The titles we've accquired on DVD
>have been much more problematic than we had hoped. The big issue seems to
>be the manner in which library users handle (or mishandle??) them.
>Fingerprinting and scratches are epidemic and increasingly users are
>complaining about the frequency with which they are unable to watch DVDs
>checked out from our collection because of this.
>
>After using some over the counter solutions including Disk Doctor with
>moderately reasonable results. In the last several months we've begun
>sending the disks to a business in our region that resurfaces them for a
>few bucks per. They do a great job with very fast turnaround time but my
>main concern is the frustration that the format is causing our users.
>
>Have any of you given up on DVDs and gone back the accquiring VHS whenever
>there is an option? How are others dealing with these issues? We have
>begun putting a sheet for reporting trouble with a disk in DVD cases
>hoping that users will communicate their problems to us in a more orderly
>and coherent fashion (rather than a ticked off "Doesn't work!" relayed
>through a student employee). But, we've done this for a couple of years
>with our VHS tapes and mostly users don't complete the form when they do
>have trouble.
>
>Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.
>
>Frank Haulgren
>ILL / Media & Microforms / Document Delivery
>Wilson Library
>Western Washington University
>Bellingham, WA 98225-9103
>/^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^\
>e-mail haulgren@cc.wwu.edu
>Phone 360-650-7641 FAX 360-650-7397
>ARIEL 140.160.178.79

Mark W. Kopp

[...]