RE: cost of DVD's

Grete Pasch (gpasch@ufm.edu.gt)
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:18:38 -0800 (PST)

We have had compatibility problems only with the generic, cheap
DVD-Rs that are usually purple in color. We can only use these
for DVD-RAM disks, for example to backup large data files.

For DVD format (that is, movies in DVD format) we use the gold
Mitsui disks, and so far none of our customers have complained
about any problems with those.

-G.

DVD-Rs is
> >greater than the cost of making VHS tapes, whereas the cost
> of replicating
> >a large # of DVD-videos is lower than the cost of making VHS
> tapes (per
> >unit made).
> >

> >At 03:00 PM 3/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> > >I spoke with a sales rep at Films for Humanities about
> this right when
> > >they started offering DVD's. I was told that Films is
> converting VHS's
> > >to the DVD-R format on a title by title basis. The increased
price
> > >reflects staff time for conversion and is more expensive
> for the first
> > >copy converted. I was also told that the price should come
> down once
> > >multiple copies of a title are converted. But, you should
know that
> > >Films is only offering basic conversions without chapter
encoding.

> > >Tom
> > >
> > >Thomas E. Herndon
> > >Multimedia and Interdisciplinary Programs Librarian
> > >Johnson Center Library
> > >George Mason University
> > >703-993-9047
> > >703-993-9063 (fax)