RE: theft from collection

Chuck Collins (ccollins@heightslibrary.org)
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:49:50 -0800 (PST)

I'm actually the one who found the stolen CDs and DVDs at the used CD store
in Cleveland Heights. I was lamenting the fact that around 3/4 of our
start-up DVD collection had vanished in the space of three months, when I
walked into a local store (practically across the street from one of our
branches) and found our labels staring back at me. I tried talking the
teenager who managed the place but all he just shrugged his shoulders and
said "Dude, get better security."

In all, about 200 DVDs and nearly 800 CDs from various area libraries were
recovered. The amazing thing was that even while the police and our
director were going through the store searching their inventory, one of the
thieves walked in and tried to sell more stolen CDs--all with the library
tags still on them. Charges were filed against the thieves as well as the
store manager.

Initially we used very little in the way of security for our DVDs, despite
my protests. Essentially our Circulation Coordinator has much more
influence here than I do. Her staff was "too busy" to bother with any
additional security and it was decided that it "wasn't going to be that much
of a problem and wasn't worth the investment." After news of the store
discovery made the evening newscasts of two local stations and the front
page of The Plain Dealer, they changed their minds.

Incidentally, the store in question was called CD Warehouse. Additional
library materials were found at other CD Warehouse stores in the Cleveland
area. I understand it is a franchise with stores in a number of cities in
the U.S. and Canada. If you have one in your area, you might want to pay
them a visit.

Chuck Collins
Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library
2345 Lee Road
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
(216) 932-3600
ccollins@heightslibrary.org