Re: Looking for information about the video "Protect your Family"

Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:00:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Renee,

The latest issue of "Video Librarian" might not have winged its way to your
desktop yet, but here's our review of "Protect Your Family" from the Mar/Apr
issue:

Protect Your Family *
(2002) 42 min. VHS or DVD: $19.95 ($24.95 w/PPR). Tapeworm Video. Color
cover.
Seeking to trade on the pervasive paranoia following the 9/11 terrorist
strikes, this shrill polemic aims to advise citizens on how to minimize
their families' exposure to the threats of biological and chemical weapons
attacks. In fact, the video slipcase's cover illustration says it all with
the picture of a happy nuclear family--Mom, Dad, two kids, and Fido smiling
in a park--above a picture of a gas-mask clad adolescent in front of Old
Glory. Gad, talk about invigorating graphics! While this may bring a lump to
one's patriotic throat, the program itself (with it's own peculiar seal of
approval emblazoned on the jacket: "Proven Israeli Know How") is highly
reminiscent of those overstated doom and gloom screeds that saturated the
video marketplace concerning the "millennium bug" that would bring the
civilized world to its collective knees. For the record, the program touches
on creating a shelter, purchasing appropriate protective gear, detecting an
attack, and administering first aid. Admittedly, my residence in the
Midwestern hinterlands of Fortress America probably lessens my perception of
the immediacy of a devastating biological or chemical attack, but this
program--with its over-the-top tone--lacks the calm and reasonable approach
that would be most useful in addressing these doomsday scenarios. Not
recommended. Aud: P. (M. Tribby)

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com