Re: Solid-state video storage

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:33:25 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_1033888==.ALT

To add to the topic of non-moving storage, here's another neat tool:

http://www.pendriveusa.com/pendrive2.0.html

The USB (USB1 or USB2) "Pen Drive", which packs a whopping 2gig of memory,
is a portable solid state storage drive measuring a tiny 3.3" X 1.1" X
.59". It plugs into your USB Port, just like a digital camera, and with
ACTUAL data transfer speeds of over 7Mbps, it is completely capable of
carrying and loading an MPEG-1 formatted file.

It's getting there folks! And to add to the postings regarding the stolen
materials from their collections, with media like this we'll probably end
up fastening them to 2X4's just so we don't lose em'!!!

Mark
***************************************

At 01:13 PM 3/5/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Previously I said this:
>
> > solid state modules will take over surprisingly quickly
> > as a physical replacement for spinning "whirligigs" like
> > tapes and disks.
>
>So today lo' 'n' b'hold there's a posting on a Mac news website I keep up on
>that reads:
>
>" In 2001, a 1 GB IDE Flash drive cost $5,000. Today, you can find 10GB IDE
>Flash Drives for less than $2,000.
> At this price point, it is worth considering swapping out the standard
>mechanical drive in a powerbook and replacing it with a flash drive. With an
>IDE Flash Drive, battery life would triple, access speeds would triple, and
>one wouldn't have to worry about hard knocks and bumps crashing the hard
>drive." (1)
>
>So, big capacity solid state digital storage at affordable pricing is not
>THAT far off it seems. The form factor will continue to shrink and we'll see
>more gigs for the $ and the total $ go down of course.
>
>Rick Faaberg
>
>(1) www.macintouch.com

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator