Re: Digital Challenge Survey

Mark Richie (Media2@bellatlantic.net)
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:09:24 -0800 (PST)

"Threatt, Monique L" wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am currently preparing a poster session for Indiana librarians on the
> digital challenge facing academic collection managers in the 21st
> century (not unlike the one given at the National Media Market.)
> Whereas that survey was from a "vendor's" perspective, I am polling also
> including academic collection managers and students viewpoints.
>
> By responding, I hope you are authorizing me to use your results in my
> survey. Please answer as briefly as possible. One or two sentences
> top. Thank you so much in advance.
>
> 1. What do you believe is the media delivery system of the future?
>
> VHS, and for how long? OR
> DVD, and for how long? OR
> Digital Streaming?

> 2. Do you believe academic libraries can sway market trends in the
> delivery of media?
>
> No, explain briefly.
> Yes, explain briefly.
>>>I ASSUME YOU MEAN THE NON-THEATRICAL VIDEO MARKET, otherwise see Faaberg's response to this.
>>>YES, BUT NOT NECESSAIRLY IN A CONSTRUCTIVE WAY. The missguided clammor for educational titles on DVD from many administrators, instructors and some or our colleagues is an example. Why make producers go through the expense of creating an MPG2 conversion and a DVD? A 1.08mbps+/- MPG 1 on a disk will work just as well (ie: 30 fps, full screen) and requires no special equipment at the viewing/display end other than a CD-ROM drive. Or, skip the physical purchase and download the purchased titles directly from the producers server to your campus server. Either way the DVD option is overkill.
is possible because of a handful of media directors (k-16)
who started pushing for non-physical delivery in 1998 and
1999. Producers, fresh from being burned by CD-i and
laserdisc investments had no interest in pushing another
tecnology. Will they get burned by this one too? Probably.
But the market is very much affected by the video libraries
who eather created their own home grown digital systems or
bought into early commercial ventures.

> 3. As a academic collection manager, which formats do you collect?
> What formats are supported in the classroom? Or, in the media center.
>
> Video >>> PRIMARY MEDIA - supported in all classrooms
> DVD >>> FEATURE FILMS WITH CURRICULUM LINKAGE - supported in few classrooms or labs
> Digital Streaming >>> NO
> Other? >>> iDVS STORE AND FORWARD INTERACTIVE VIDEO SYSTEM -
-supported in all classrooms, only requires a computer
and a network connection.