RE: copyright question

Ben Achtenberg (Ben@fanlight.com)
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:55:38 -0800 (PST)

We can all have our opinions on this, but the way the system works is that
it means what the Supreme Court says it means and, for the moment, they've
said it means what Congress says it means. Especially on the "limited
times" definition, if we want a change it seems like the best point of
attack for now would be our Congressfolk.

For a kind of interesting VOLUNTARY (on the part of copyright holders)
approach to dealing with some of the new realities, see Jason Guerrasio's
item in the new issue of The Independent:
http://www.aivf.org/independent/archives/0303/sweit_guerr_0303.html (page
down till you spot "New Copyright Contract." Or check out the group he's
writing about: http://www.creativecommons.org

Ben

At 12:18 PM 3/4/03 -0800, you wrote:
>US Constitution Article 1 Section 8
>"
>To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited
>times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective
>writings and discoveries; "
>
>I wonder what exactly was meant by "the progress of science and useful
>arts." I also wonder what exactly was meant by "for limited times."
>
>Just a thought

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379
Email: Ben@Fanlight.com

VISIT OUR WEBSITE: www.fanlight.com