RE: copyright question

 (kevmsmit@sbcglobal.net)
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:18:46 -0800 (PST)

US Constitution Article 1 Section 8
"
To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited
times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective
writings and discoveries; "

I wonder what exactly was meant by "the progress of science and useful
arts." I also wonder what exactly was meant by "for limited times."

Just a thought

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu [mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]
On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 3:09 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: copyright question

Just for fun any volunteers who have a 16mm Hollywood feature film that is
deteriorating that is willing to transfer it to video and SEND a letter to
rights holder telling them you had rights to do it since they did not
release it on video?

Honestly I am NOT sure if we are arguing apples and oranges but you simply
have no right to transfer something that is in what is basically in
"inconvenient format " ( what is you definition of deteriorating or dying
for 16mm by the way?) to one you find more useful because the rights holder
has chosen not to release it. I STRONGLY suspect and hope that most of you
mean rare educational material that you have no real chance of finding
ownership on , rather than cases where you COULD find the owner and they
just say no. I am assuming you don't really mean feature films ( which as
far as I know were NEVER sold other than either life of print or limited
term pre- previous discussion). I am just worried that in not being specific
enough you are proposing an excuse to copy stuff some profs can't live
without regardless of copyright situation All of my rants on this have
related to feature films.

Jessica

--
Jessica Rosner