Re: copyright question

MileFilms@aol.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:07:09 -0800 (PST)

--part1_18b.16e41422.2b912951_boundary

In a message dated 2/28/03 3:46:09 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:

> I'm gonna go out on a limb here, Jessica.=A0 A feature film that was legal=
ly=20
> acquired on 16, is no longer commercially available (with a documented goo=
d=20
>=20
> faith attempt to acquire replacement), and is physically at risk is, in my=
=20
> book, grist for preservation copying (yes, onto video even).=A0=A0 You're=20
> basically proposing that libraries allow a legally-acquired title in a=20
> collection crumble into celluloid and dust because the item is not=20
> replaceable and transfer rights are not forthcoming...I say that's not an=20
> option for responsible for collection managers.=A0 I do it first; cease an=
d=20
> desist later...
>=20

I actually agree with Gary on this. If it's for on-campus only, I wouldn't=20
call a cop.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_18b.16e41422.2b912951_boundary

In a message dated 2/28/03 3:46:09 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:=

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, Jessica.=A0 A feature film t= hat was legally
acquired on 16, is no longer commercially available (with a documented good=20=
faith attempt to acquire replacement), and is physically at risk is, in my <= BR> book, grist for preservation copying (yes, onto video even).=A0=A0 You're basically proposing that libraries allow a legally-acquired title in a
collection crumble into celluloid and dust because the item is not
replaceable and transfer rights are not forthcoming...I say that's not an option for responsible for collection managers.=A0 I do it first; cease and=20=
desist later...

I actually agree with Gary on this. I= f it's for on-campus only, I wouldn't call a cop.