Re: copyright question

Ben Achtenberg (
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:53:26 -0800 (PST)

I would appreciate the citation of the copyright section which authorizes
the making of a digital copy for the purpose you describe. 110 ain't it.

Ben Achtenberg

At 12:04 PM 2/28/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; format=flowed
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>Except....I bet this gets something started...
>(Primarily, for Distance Education and Digital Video delivery)
>The institution may convert from analog to digital the portion or amount of=
>that work authorized
>to be used under Section 110(2) if:
>=B7 no digital version of a work is available to the institution or
>=B7 the digital version that is available is subject to technological=20
>measures that prevent its
>use for distance education
>Basically, if you need a DIGITAL version for Educational use (i.e. meeting=
>all the criteria for that part of the Code) you can convert, but only if=20
>you cannot purchase it from the owner in a digitized format. You really=20
>don't want to do the digitization if you don't have to, but you can if it=20
>is not available.
>You are right, though, in that a TAPE would be illegal.

Ben Achtenberg / Fanlight Productions
4196 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02131
(617) 469-4999 Fax: (617) 469-3379