Re: copyright question

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:04:36 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_24918818==.ALT

Except....I bet this gets something started...

(Primarily, for Distance Education and Digital Video delivery)
The institution may convert from analog to digital the portion or amount of=
=20
that work authorized
to be used under Section 110(2) if:
=B7 no digital version of a work is available to the institution or
=B7 the digital version that is available is subject to technological=20
measures that prevent its
use for distance education

Basically, if you need a DIGITAL version for Educational use (i.e. meeting=
=20
all the criteria for that part of the Code) you can convert, but only if=20
you cannot purchase it from the owner in a digitized format. You really=20
don't want to do the digitization if you don't have to, but you can if it=20
is not available.

You are right, though, in that a TAPE would be illegal.

At 11:42 AM 2/28/03 -0800, you wrote:
>NO!!!!!
>Just in case that is not enough YOU CAN NEVER TRANSER FORMATS without
>permission of rights holder. Just because a film is not available in the
>most "convenient" format you don't get to make an illegal transfer
>A tape made by such means is entirely illegal
>--
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>
> > From: "Lisa Flanzraich" <LFlanzra@Qc1.Qc.Edu>
> > Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:34:04 -0800 (PST)
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: copyright question
> >
> > Is a videocassette "legal" if it has been transferred from 16 mm if the
> > reason is to
> > have made it accessible for student study/preview purposes?

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road
Duncansville, Pa 16635
(814) 695-1972 Phone
(814) 695-3018 Fax
E-Address:
mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
See us on the Web at:
<http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org

Except....I bet this gets something started...

(Primarily, for Distance Education and Digital Video delivery)
The institution may convert from analog to digital the portion or amount of that work authorized
to be used under Section 110(2) if:
=B7  no digital version of a work is available to the institution or
=B7  the digital version that is available is subject to technological measures that prevent its
use for distance education

Basically, if you need a DIGITAL version for Educational use (i.e. meeting all the criteria for that part of the Code) you can convert, but only if you cannot purchase it from the owner in a digitized format. You really don't want to do the digitization if you don't have to, but you can if it is not available.