Re: Department name

Kate Vaux (kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au)
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:40:37 -0800 (PST)

We call ourselves Media Collections.

We used to be Media Services but people though we were a video camera hire
place and editing facility.

Then we called ourselves Media Collections and Services - but this was too
long and although people now saw us as having a collection of things to
borrow, people still thought we did video editing.

So far Media Collections seems to work. Although I still get the
occasional question about newspapers as in media communications rather than
the format - media.

Kate

At 04:22 AM 28/02/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I need your help! My library director has requested that I "upgrade"
>the name of our department, presently known as Audiovisual Dept. to
>something more modern. If you had this opportunity what would you call
>it? Ours is a university library and we collect in all subjects and
>all kinds of av materials (not just videos). We also are the music
>library, as well as the visual arts and architecture library
>(slides). Thanks for your help.
>
>--
>

>Mayra Nemeth
>Head, Audiovisual Dept., Library
>Library Web Manager
>Florida International University
>Miami, FL 33199
>305-348-3009 - 305-348-3010 fax
>nemethm@fiu.edu
>http://www.fiu.edu/~library/index.html
>
>Feed The Hungry -- http://www.thehungersite.com

Kate Vaux
Media Information Librarian
Media Collections

Room 420
Level 4, Education Resource Centre (ERC) Library
The Information Division
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
Australia

e-mail : kmvaux@unimelb.edu.au
Telephone : +61 3 8344 8650 or +61 3 8344 8316
Facsimile : +61 3 9347 0974

www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/media/