Re: RTI Disc check

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:03:19 -0800 (PST)

We purchased one right after they were first shown at ALA. The price has
gone up significantly in the meantime, so beware.
The one we have (the 500) has three functions, and in order of usefulness I
would rank them:
1) Inspection - works for DVD and CD, and lets you know if the information
is readable or not. Some discs which look horrible can still be played, and
others which look ok have to be scrapped. This has saved a lot of discs
from being thrown out after patrons reported problems.
2) Cleaner/Polisher - Gets them real shiny!
3) Scratch removal - if the scratches are bad enough to keep the disc from
playing, this doesn't seem to remedy the situation. I can't think of too
many (if any at all) that were redeemable after this lengthy process, but
then some of our discs have been badly abused. It does improve the looks of
discs that were scratched but still playable, so I suppose it has a good
psychological effect. I will give it a try each time, but rarely does the
inspection module give the disc a good report after using this.
I haven't heard of any other machine that does all of this, so it may be
your only option, especially for the inspection module.

--
John Holland
Librarian,  Media Express