Re: DVD killed the Video Store

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:20:33 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_11369263==.ALT

Hi Steve,

As an aside, and something to think about...

I've talked to people who seem to think that we are seeing the beginning of=
=20
the end of DVD. Non-moving storage is now small enough and big enough to=20
store full length files...and no parts to wear! We now have available 2gig=
=20
SRAM PCMCIA Cards that are slightly smaller than a credit card:
http://www.sandisk.com/oem/pc_card2.asp)

and 3gig 2.5" IDE Flash Disks.
http://www.pretec.com/

I've heard that there will be something on the market as soon as this=20
coming Christmas!!!

How's that for a wrench in the works...

At 07:34 AM 2/19/03 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>piecemeal, it's going to take 20 years to get all this catalog on DVD,"
>says Scott Prost, who owns Video Universe in
>Robbinsdale.
>
>Vilinskis sees the back end of this dynamic. "I just bought out two
>independently owned Video Updates in the Twin Cities,"
>he says. "On the new-release rack, DVDs represented 60 percent of the
>product, and VHS was 40 percent. In the catalog
>section, it was 98 percent VHS and about two percent DVD."
>
>What kills stores is having to pay the same old high prices for
>tapes--maintaining an expensive back catalog while trying to
>compete in new stuff. Prost says most small operations don't have the
>capital for that, but he's managed by taking it
>slowly--there are now 5,000 DVDs among his 30,000 titles. In addition,
>Video Universe is buoyed by the one market
>(besides imported films for immigrants) that the chains can't seem to
>conquer--pornography.
>
>Remember, porn is the reason VCRs exist in the first place--buyers
>pushed the technology at every step of development.
>Now enthusiasts make use of an arcane feature of some DVD players that
>lets you view scenes at multiple angles. The My
>Plaything series (with Jenna Jameson and others) allows viewers to
>choose what they want the star to "do," pushing movies
>into the realm of the video game.
>
>Not that Video Universe, Village, Home, and Panorama, and other
>businesses are elaborate fronts for the adult room. GLBT,
>foreign, black-and-white, African-American (a.k.a. "urban")--you can
>find more of any of these genres at the neighborhood
>stores. And the neighborhoods need these shops, which are often alone in
>the industry for not requiring their customers to
>leave credit-card imprints.
>
>"I'm on my ninth copy of The Mack," Becker laughs. "Because the people
>who think they're watching the lifestyle they want to
>embrace think they're making some kind of blow against the empire by
>stealing said tape. Prison movies are the same way."
>
>Becker served time himself--two years for attempted possession of a
>controlled substance. "I had a wife that was sick and
>dying of MS," he says. "And I got talked into walking into a hotel room
>in Eagan where the only guy that didn't have a badge
>and a gun was me."
>
>If the checkout clerks in blue shirts have a better story that that,
>I'll eat my Panasonic.
>
>Arts Feature =B7 Vol 24 =B7 Issue 1159 =B7 PUBLISHED 2/19/03
>HOME: www.citypages.com
>
>City Pages is the Online News and Arts Weekly of the Twin Cities
>

>--------------12D49415DB12CE74A634D8DE
>
>begin:vcard
>n:Fesenmaier;Stephen L.
>tel;home:Outside WV - 304-558-3978 X2015
>tel;work:1-800-642-9021 ext. 2015 inside WV
>x-mozilla-html:FALSE
>url:www.wvlc.lib.wv.us
>org:Library Development;West Virginia Library Commission
>adr:;;1900 Kanawha Blvd. East;Charleston;West Virginia;25305;USA

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road
Duncansville, Pa 16635
(814) 695-1972 Phone
(814) 695-3018 Fax
E-Address:
mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
See us on the Web at:
<http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org

--=====================_11369263==.ALT

Hi Steve,

As an aside, and something to think about...

I've talked to people who seem to think that we are seeing the beginning of the end of DVD. Non-moving storage is now small enough and big enough to store full length files...and no parts to wear! We now have available 2gig SRAM PCMCIA Cards  that are slightly smaller than a credit card:
http:= //www.sandisk.com/oem/pc_card2.asp)

and 3gig 2.5" IDE Flash Disks.
http://www.pretec.com/

I've heard that there will be something on the market as soon as this coming Christmas!!!

[...]

Still, I've recently found myself renting more at Blockbuster,=20 where
[...]

outlets were closed, or bought out by Blockbuster. (Eight years=20 ago,
there were 73 Mr. Movies franchise stores; now there
are 18.)

Meanwhile, two revered collections of classic and foreign videos
literally went up in flames: Home Video on Snelling burned
down two years ago, reopening in September with an expanded DVD section
but little of its hard-to-find older stuff. And the
West Bank's Intercontinental Video couldn't rebuild itself from=20 last
year's fire, which destroyed an unparalleled selection of
foreign titles.

Even Discount Video, whose 15,000 titles are often impossible to find
elsewhere, feels the sea change. A longtime holdout for
VHS, the Hennepin Avenue shop has at last decided to make the switch to
DVD in Japanese anime (a genre released almost
exclusively on DVD). Then there's Village Video, which also plans=20 to
start renting DVDs.

"I'm going to carry it for as long as it lasts," says Becker. "I thought
by now that DVD would already be superseded by
something more compatible with current television technology." He's
talking about high-definition television and DVHS, a
digital tape format that had major industry backing as recently as=20 a
year ago. "The marketing has been so amazing about 'the
superiority of the disc to the tape' that I don't know whether tape will
come back."

Becker shares with many indie storeowners a skepticism about the=20 new
format--and a reluctance to invest the capital required
to make the transition. A former singer in one of Minneapolis's earliest
punk bands, the Doggs, he compares the DVD
invasion to the advent of CDs. "We were told how much better they
sounded," he says. "But your ears told you differently:
Vinyl sounded better. And the only way they enforced the thing was the
industry stopped supporting vinyl. When somebody
lies to you every time they open their mouths, how do you believe any
word they say?"

Discount Video co-owner Chuck Hanson suggests that DVDs were devised to
kill the rental market altogether. "They want to
capture that money directly by selling the movie," he=20 says.

[...]

everything. A shelf without 8,000 copies of The Wedding Planner is=20 a
[...]

embrace think they're making some kind of blow against the empire=20 by
stealing said tape. Prison movies are the same way."

Becker served time himself--two years for attempted possession of a
controlled substance. "I had a wife that was sick and
dying of MS," he says. "And I got talked into walking into a hotel room
in Eagan where the only guy that didn't have a badge
and a gun was me."

If the checkout clerks in blue shirts have a better story that=20 that,
I'll eat my Panasonic.

Arts Feature =B7 Vol 24 =B7 Issue 1159 =B7 PUBLISHED 2/19/03

City Pages is the Online News and Arts Weekly of the Twin=20 Cities