Re: From the Library Administator's Digest

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:35:12 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_19570340==.ALT

Hi Ron,

I actually have an illustrated book with that same stuff...actually...I
loaned it to a colleague months ago, and it is making it's rounds and has
been VERY popular with everyone....except some administrators...I wonder why???

Thanks for reminding me...I hadn't seen it for a while.

Mark
At 09:18 AM 2/14/03 -0800, you wrote:

> [...]
> ility,
> > >staff, equipment or raise) for you or your service area. Year after=
> year you
> > >bring cost analysis to your board (CEO, Budget Administrator, Direc= tor,
> > >Department Head, Supervisor*), only to have the idea shot down.
> > >
> > >File it under "Dead Horse." You can revisit it, but it will probabl= y
> still
> > >remain dead, unless another board (CEO, Budget Administrator, Direc= tor,
> > >Department Head, Supervisor*) is able to see your vision. And, spea=
> king of
> > >vision, having a vision won't get you anywhere if you cannot commun=
> icate and
> > >articulate that vision to others.
> > >
> > >Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a d= ead
> > >horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, we often try othe= r
> strategies with dead horses, including the following:
> > >1. Using a stronger whip.
> > >2. Changing riders.
> > >3. Saying things like, "This is the way we have always ridden this=20=
> horse."
> > >4. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
> > >5. Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.=
> > >6. Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.
> > >7. Appointing a group to revive the dead horse.
> > >8. Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.
> > >9. Comparing the state of dead horses in today's environment.
> > >10. Changing the requirements so the horse no longer meets the stan=
> dard for
> > >death.
> > >11. Hiring a consultant to show us how to ride the dead horse.
> > >12. Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.
> > >13. Declaring "No horse is too dead to beat."
> > >14. Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performanc= e.
> > >15. Studying to see if outsourcing will reduce the cost of riding a=
> dead horse.
> > >16. Buying the latest computer program to enhance dead horse perfor=
> mance.
> > >17. Declaring that a dead horse is less costly than a live one.
> > >18. Forming a committee to find uses for dead horses.
> > >19. Revisiting the performance requirements for horses.
> > >20. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.
> > >
> > >As it is with an addiction, so it is with the dead horse. First you= must
> > >admit the horse is dead and bury the issue. That is of course until=
> you can
> > >convince the next board or staff (CEO, Budget Administrator, Direct= or,
> > >Department Head, Supervisor*) that there never really was a horse*<=
> BR> > >
> > >Rural Library Services Newsletter, Paulding County (OH) Carnegie Li=
> brary,
> > >November 2002
> >

>Ron Roby, School Media Consultant
>Great River Area Education Agency 16
>Burlington, Iowa
>--part1_18e.168e7833.2b7e7e91_boundary--

Mark W. Kopp
Circulation Coordinator
Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road