Re: Triumph of the Will - Public Performance Rights?

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:07:31 -0800 (PST)

--part1_c.9fd2c59.2b7d54c9_boundary

In a message dated 2/13/03 1:54:00 PM, mhuntley@hamilton.edu writes:

> A professor has asked me to post an e-mail on our all-students listserv, to
> let the students in his course know that there are 3 showings of "Triumph
> of the Will" scheduled in the next few days, and that they are required to
> view the film at any one of those times.
> Sending a message to our whole student body is what I consider
> "advertising." I rather doubt that this 1934 film is in the public domain,
> so I will not do as he has asked until I am absolutely sure of the film's
> status.

Dear Marilyn,

Well, Triumph is a unique case. Although she always said she was just a hired
hand, Riefenstahl has claimed copyright ownership of the film for years and
collected fairly sizable royalties from people who bought into the story. In
recent years, she has rescinded this claim (as she has recently on other
claims she has made...). The War reparations act after WWII effectively made
all German films made prior to 1945 public domain, but there has been general
contention that acceptance of the GATT/Uruguay treaty makes that previous act
null and void. I doubt it, but no one has taken this to court for a decision.
I also don't recall since the acceptance of GATT, if Triumph has been actually
been registered with the Library of Congress with an NIE ("Notice of Intent
to Enforce," I believe it stands for) which is a whole other subject.

Frankly, every release presently in the United States of the film is a public
domain version. I wouldn't pay anybody for PPR on this title, nor would I
worry about it.

As for showing the film without proper context before and after the
screening, or my own personal views of Riefenstahl and her recent acclaim by
film buffs and historians, lets just say I have my own opinions. But this
time, I'll leave politics out of my listserv email... ;-)

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640