Re: VHS to PAL

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:43:00 -0800 (PST)

--part1_1d2.25738e7.2b7ab9a3_boundary

In a message dated 2/11/03 3:29:26 PM, barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu writes:

> I just had a request that we duplicate an standard NTSC into PAL format.
> Oddly enough, I've never had this question before.
> I'm assuming we can hook up dubbing cables to a regular VCR and the
> international VCR, record on the int'l VCR, and the result will come out
> as a PAL formatted video. Correct?
> Are there any technical difficulties that I'm not considering?
> She's then plans to use the tape in Thailand.
> (It's a personal video, so no copyright issues here.)

Actually no. The output signal of your regular VCR will be NTSC format and
you can't change that. You will need a multisystem translater (like the Aiwa
HV-MX100, the Samsung SV-5000W or the Panasonic World Traveller) that will
output the signal as PAL and then take it to your multisystem.

Barring that purchase of a new machine, the other way that I can think of,
would be to take the NTSC VHS and dub it onto a DVD. She has a fairly good
chance that the DVD systems in Asia will read it.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_1d2.25738e7.2b7ab9a3_boundary

I just had a request that we duplicate an standard NTSC into PAL format.
Oddly enough, I've never had this question before.
I'm assuming we can hook up dubbing cables to a regular VCR and the
international VCR, record on the int'l VCR, and the result will come out
as a PAL formatted video. Correct?
Are there any technical difficulties that I'm not considering?
She's then plans to use the tape in Thailand.
(It's a personal video, so no copyright issues here.)

Actually no. The output signal of you= r regular VCR will be NTSC format and you can't change that. You will need a= multisystem translater (like the Aiwa HV-MX100, the Samsung SV-5000W <= /FONT>or the Panasonic World Traveller) that= will output the signal as PAL and then take it to your multisystem.