Re: extending DVD & CD Life Span

Scott Lehman (scottl@evpl.org)
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:29:42 -0800 (PST)

disc:

I have heard from many people that this does work, but at the same time, I
have read that the heat from a machine can cause waxes to get into a player
and cause problems. So yes, the practice does work, but yes, it could also
be bad for machines that play it.

For those libraries that circulate DVDs, CDs, and CD-ROMs, I might
recommend purchasing a good disc repair machine when your budget allows.
Like any repairs, it takes staff time, but 5 minutes to repair a disc is
usually considerably cheaper than the $20-30 replacement cost (especially
if you have to go through Acquisitions, etc.). The machines are expensive
(in the thousands) but probably worth it in the long run for libraries with
large collections of digital media.

Scott
Scott Lehman
Audio Visual Services