Re: search for a documentary about a blind runner

John Muller (john.muller@SONOMA.EDU)
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:19:56 -0800 (PST)

on 2/7/03 9:00 AM, Cambridge Documentary Films, Inc. at cdf@shore.net wrote:

> To those who know everything...or know how to find it out. A social
> service agency sent us this request.
>
> " am looking for a documentary I saw years ago for our upcoming men's event.
> It was the story of a fireman who was a runner. His friend was blind. His
> friend wanted to run a cross-country race over mountains boulders etc.
> The firemen helped him do this by holding each other and learning signals;
> Very inspiring on friendship.
> Does this ring a bell? If so do you know how I would get a copy?"
>
> Thank you. Margaret

I remember a title like this from the Mill Valley Film Festival several
years back. It played again at the Exploratorium in San Francisco last
month, so it must still be available...

from http://www.runningmovies.com/

Survival Run
Directed by Robert Charlton & Joauin Padro

This 12 minute film was originally issued in 1980 in 16mm format.

In 1992, Pyramid Film & Video released a VHS version that shows Harry
Cordellos, who is blind, and Mike Restani, his seeing partner who guides him
with vocal cues and an occasional nudge, on completion of the The Dipsea
Race. The Dipsea is an annual event in Marin County, California that covers
majestic mountains, deep ravines, and lush forests. Harry continues to run
this event as reflected in his 2001 finish that earned him The Norman Bright
award for "Extraordinary Effort in the Dispea".