RE: repairing videotapes

Maurine Canarsky (maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us)
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:07:28 -0800 (PST)

Mike:

We pretty much discard them. If it's not a repair where you can simply cut
the tape at the beginning or the end, we don't mess with them since we don't
want splices in the middle of a tape. Most of the time, the wrecked tapes
that we see have either circ'd to death or have had an unforeseen
manufacturers defect. We just assume that part of our budget is going to go
for "replacements".

Maurine Canarsky, Media Librarian
Noel Wien Public Library
1215 Cowles St.
Fairbanks, AK 99701
907-459-1020
907-459-1024 FAX
maurine.canarsky@fnsb.lib.ak.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Mike Boedicker
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 3:10 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: repairing videotapes

Do you repair damaged videos or simply discard them? The two local places
that did our repairs (a photo store and a video rental store) stopped doing
it, so I bought a kit to do the job myself but frankly it sucks (both the
kit and the process). I'd be interested in hearing your policies re damaged
tapes. Thanks.

Mike

Mike Boedicker
Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
mboedicker@hotmail.com
http://www.danville.lib.il.us