Re: repairing videotapes

Scott Lehman (scottl@evpl.org)
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 06:38:51 -0800 (PST)

I have repaired many hundreds of videotapes in my years in an Indiana
public library system. I'm not sure which kit you were using that was so
bad, but I've used a Video Tape Fixer Workstation that cost about $110, and
has paid for itself many times over (especially considering the $5-10 that
repair places charge for a splice that takes a few seconds to accomplish).
Ours probably came from the Video Store Shopper, but it is available at
many other places as well.

With good splicing tape and an experienced employee, the "brown part" is
not a problem at all to splice. It is most convenient, of course, when the
damage or break is at the beginning or end of the tape, so none of the
program has to be cut out. Most damage seems to occur at the very beginning
of the tape. For damages during the program, it may be easier to buy a new
one if it is an inexpensive tape. But for a $200 or out-of-print tape, it
may be easier to cut out 3-4 seconds of the program and live with it.

And when the video shell gets damaged, cracked, broken, stepped on, etc.,
it is convenient to have a lot of empty VHS replacement shells around too.
They usually cost just over a buck apiece, and you can just take the tape
out of the shell and put it into the replacement (provided the tape
spindles aren't damaged). A small Phillips screwdriver is the only tool you
need.

Hope something here is helpful.
-Scott
Scott Lehman