Re: Venting on public performance rights

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:11:16 -0800 (PST)

Kate,
A note on using a corporate type credit card. I see you work for a community
college, which in Tennessee would be a state institution. As such, it would
be prohibited from paying sales tax. For some purchases from TV stations,
I've tried ordering on-line and over-the-phone using a corporate credit
card, and once tax exempt is mentioned, all bets are off for the home use
purchase price. We need the public performance option, so I don't mind the
price if it's reasonable. Also, I am cautious about circumventing the usual
purchasing channels, because media dollars spent from places other than my
department budget do not show up in the budget office's accounting of
library holdings. While occasional donations don't give me a problem,
circumventing the system on a regular basis could illuminate hard-to-explain
discrepancies in an audit.
Hope this doesn't muddy the water too much.
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132