=?UTF-8?Q?Re:=20=E2=80=9CSweet=20Sweetback's=20Badass=20Song?=

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:09:30 -0800 (PST)

--part1_1cd.1a00471.2b718555_boundary

In a message dated 2/3/03 8:23:12 PM, john@krl.org writes:

> If you have a copy, could I borrow it for screening purposes because the
> local
> authorities are holding my library's copy for the FBI to preview?
> Never a dull moment.
> Regards,
> John Fossett

Hope you have an overdue policy!

In moments of great controversy (I was at Kino in Jessica's job when they
distributed THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST), I have found the best policty is
to invite the troublemaker(s) to come to a public forum with equal
representation (film professors, clergyman, NAACP in this case, whatever) to
represent the other side, view the film, present the background of the film,
and have a discussion about it. It's far better to invite them in and have
community involvement than to start a war where nobody wins. And worse comes
to worse, an interest in "other" films might occur. I'm sure the distributor
will give PPR permission for this cause and if not, I can try to help you
find the "beautiful" Melvin van Peebles as he used to call himself when he
telephoned Kino. (Kino used to distribute the film, by the way.)

The other suggestion I have is to make them work. Have the local authorities
watch the film with you and several professors to make sure that they know
what they're getting into.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128