Re: media collection development reviews?

Gail Fedak (gfedak@mtsu.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:48:54 -0800 (PST)

The price of the video is less of an issue where quality is concerned than
is the producer. We base our purchase decisions on quality of content,
faculty recommendation (if faculty won't use an item, it's a waste of
limited resources to purchase it), PPR, and price. We also ask whether a
faculty member has seen a title before we purchase it. If they have not, we
request that they preview the title before we buy it. You'd be surprised how
many times we receive feedback that says "This title is too elementary for
college classes; poorly produced; doesn't meet my curriculum needs; etc."
Because we use single campus closed circuit cable as one means of delivering
videos to classrooms, we always go for PPR when they are available at a
reasonable price. Most major educational vendors include PPR in their list
prices. Feature film and some independent distributors' PPR prices are a
whole different matter. Be aware, too, that some secondary distributors
charge inflated prices that don't necessarily appear to be inflated. A
little Internet searching often reveals a less expensive source.
As convoluted as this is, hope it helps,
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132