RE: Patron privacy

Jerry Notaro (notaro@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu)
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:36:57 -0800 (PST)

You are not being rigid at all. But we will contact Instructor A ourselves
to relay the information. That may solve your problems with Instructor B.

Jerry Notaro, University Librarian
University of South Florida St. Petersburg

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gail Fedak
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 4:47 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Patron privacy

------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C2C6E4.A3E98AF0

I would like to find out if our privacy policy is appropriate or if we =
are being unnecessarily cautious. When a video is checked out to =
Instructor A, and Instructor B comes to check out the same video while =
Instructor A has it, we do not tell Instructor B who has it. Because =
both instructors are probably using the same video in each of their =
classes, although not necessarily on the same day at the same hour, we =
will call Instructor A to ask if s/he can return the program early so =
Instructor B can also use it. This works well for us 99% of the time. =
Also, most instructors know that they can reserve videos to assure their =
availability at a given time. Today I had an "Instructor B" who was more =
than a little aggravated that we had checked out "his" video (one he =
requested we purchase years ago) to an "Instructor A" and would not tell =
him who has it. We have been trying to contact "Instructor A" for =
several days (he's an adjunct, so is difficult to contact), but to no =
avail. Instructor B challenged our privacy policy and inquired if the =
"library privacy act" applied to academic media libraries. I said that =
it did, but would ask other academic media libraries about their privacy =
policies. Are we being too rigid about who knows what someone else has =
checked out?=20
Thanks in advance for your input.
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional Media Resources
Middle Tennessee State University
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
phone 615-898-2740
fax 615-898-2530
email gfedak@mtsu.edu
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C2C6E4.A3E98AF0

I would like to find out if our privacy = policy is=20 appropriate or if we are being unnecessarily cautious. When a video is = checked=20 out to Instructor A, and Instructor B comes to check out the=20 same video while Instructor A has it, we do not = tell Instructor B=20 who has it. Because both instructors are probably using the same video = in each=20 of their classes, although not necessarily on the same day at the = same=20 hour, we will call Instructor A to ask if s/he can return = the=20 program early so Instructor B can also use it. This works well for us = 99% of the=20 time. Also, most instructors know that they can reserve videos to assure = their=20 availability at a given time. Today I had an "Instructor B" who was = more=20 than a little aggravated that we had checked out "his" video (one he = requested=20 we purchase years ago) to an "Instructor A" and would not tell him = who has=20 it. We have been trying to contact "Instructor A" for several days = (he's an=20 adjunct, so is difficult to contact), but to no avail. Instructor B = challenged our privacy policy and inquired if the "library privacy act" = applied=20 to academic media libraries. I said that it did, but would ask = other academic media libraries about their privacy policies. Are we = being=20 too rigid about who knows what someone else has checked out?=20
Thanks in advance for your = input.
Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional = Media=20 Resources