RE: Patron privacy

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:29:54 -0800 (PST)

Excellent summary Jeff. I've never tried the "just in time" argument,
but I'll have to try it.

My favorite faculty argument for an extended loan on "his" video: "Check
the record. No one else checks it out." Well, duh -- how can anyone
else to check it out when he keeps it most of the semester?

Anyway, getting back to Gail's original question.
We also take the approach of calling Prof A and telling that person that
Prof B would like the video. That leaves it open for Prof A to either
return the video or, if he knows Prof B, Prof A can choose to approach B
and to work out an exchange.
If Prof A is overdue, then we're more blunt.

Barb

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Clark [mailto:clarkjc@jmu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 10:53 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Patron privacy

Gail,

I agree with Steve's response--that it's probably a matter of your state

law in following the practice you do. We do the same. If this legal
state
obtains, an ornery patron could rightfully sue the university for
revealing
such information to a third party. (Of course, the privacy issue is
compromised when the tape hasn't yet been checked out by the first
faculty
member but scheduled and on hold for pickup. Frequently this becomes
known
to someone else--especially if s/he inquires about availability and is
willing to watch it in the media center before it is picked up by the
rightful next borrower. It's reasonable to live with that, though, and
technically doesn't violate privacy, assuming the scheduled borrower
cares,
because the program hasn't in fact been checked out yet, and conceivably

may not be. Then there's the USA Patriot Act... but let's forget about
that
one for now!)

I understand many faculty users' frustrations over this restriction, as
well as their frequent attitude of surprise and annoyance that "their"
video is checked out. This assumption often occurs because they feel
their
subject matter is so specialized, who'd else want to watch the thing?

Continually encouraging them to schedule in advance is the only
practical
solution so long as we're not yet digitally networking and delivering
this
stuff. And getting them to understand and comply with their obligations
under loan policy is another.

While we're at it, a perhaps amusing and ironic observation on the
problem
of getting faculty to comply with loan periods so that others aren't
inconvenienced even if they want a title without pre-scheduling it, is
one
I confess I haven't yet had occasion to use publicly: One might remind
the
tardy and the "I can't live within your loan period rules!" patrons that

cooperating with this arrangement is simply a novel and necessary
application of "just in time" access practiced in library services
wherever
possible these days. You get a tape for the time you need it--not
necessarily the time beyond that that you want it and find it convenient
have. It's an instance where the user, as well as the service provider,
has
a role in such access. The more widely "just in time" loans are applied
in
this way, the more accessible the collection is to all users regardless
of
whether they plan (or can) in advance. On a final note, we (libraries at

large) often set up services with an aim to "just in time" access, that
tend really to benefit user convenience as much as (or even more than)
true
need. That accounts for a large part of their popularity. When need is
compromised by convenience, however, as it often is in our non-digital
non-print collections, the latter has to give way.

Just my perverse two cents today. ;)

Jeff

--On Tuesday, January 28, 2003 1:46 PM -0800 Gail Fedak
<gfedak@mtsu.edu>

=
> [...]
> fax 615-898-2530
> email gfedak@mtsu.edu
> =20
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C2C6E4.A3E98AF0

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would like to find out if our
privacy =
> policy is=20
> appropriate or if we are being unnecessarily cautious. When a video is
=
> checked=20
> out to&nbsp;Instructor A, and&nbsp;Instructor B comes to check out
the=20
> same&nbsp;video while&nbsp;Instructor A has it, we do not =
> tell&nbsp;Instructor B=20
> who has it. Because both instructors are probably using the same video
=
> in each=20
> of their classes, although not necessarily&nbsp;on the same day at the
=
> same=20
> hour,&nbsp;we will&nbsp;call&nbsp;Instructor A to ask if s/he can
return =
> the=20
> program early so Instructor B can also use it. This works well for us
=
> 99% of the=20
> time. Also, most instructors know that they can reserve videos to
assure =
> their=20
> availability at a given time. Today I had an&nbsp;"Instructor B" who
was =
> more=20
> than a little aggravated that we had checked out "his" video (one he =
> requested=20
> we purchase years ago) to an "Instructor A"&nbsp;and would not tell
him =
> who has=20
> it. We have been trying to contact&nbsp;"Instructor A" for several
days =
> (he's an=20
> adjunct, so is difficult to&nbsp;contact), but to no avail. Instructor
B =

> challenged our privacy policy and inquired if the "library privacy
act" =
> applied=20
> to academic media&nbsp;libraries. I said that it did, but&nbsp;would
ask =

> other&nbsp;academic media libraries about their privacy policies. Are
we =
> being=20
> too rigid about who&nbsp;knows what someone else&nbsp;has checked
out?=20
> </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance for your =
> input.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Gail B. Fedak<BR>Manager,
Instructional =
> Media=20
> Resources<BR>Middle Tennessee State University<BR>Murfreesboro,
TN&nbsp; =

> 37132<BR>phone 615-898-2740<BR>fax 615-898-2530<BR>email <A=20

href=3D"mailto:gfedak@mtsu.edu">gfedak@mtsu.edu</A><BR></FONT>&nbsp;</DI
V=
>> </BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C2C6E4.A3E98AF0--