Re: Patron privacy

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:42:05 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_22989562==_.ALT

You know, I have a considerably different take on this whole issue. The
way I see it, life in the academic community demands a fair degree of
collegial respect and cooperation, and a sensitivity to the fact that we're
all working toward common goals. I view faculty and librarians, faculty
and their colleagues, as partners, in short.
Think of it as a kind of academic version of the social contract, if you
will. So, if jerky professor Schmertzkopf chooses to run roughshod over
his or her end of the deal, to bring another class to its knees, to screw
up the study plans of students, by throwing a video in the backseat for
weeks or simply holding onto it for the hell of it...I'm not particularly
sympathetic to his or her privacy; privacy in such cases, is sorta
tantamount to keeping malfeasance nicely covered up. Now, I don't
usually make a practice of ratting out felonious faculty to their
colleagues, but I DO call the departmental chair if it gets bad
enough. Take strong enough action, and the problem usually ends in short
order.

> [...]
> >Instructor B can also use it. This works well for us 99% of the time. =
> >Also, most instructors know that they can reserve videos to assure their =
> >availability at a given time. Today I had an "Instructor B" who was more =
> >than a little aggravated that we had checked out "his" video (one he =
> >requested we purchase years ago) to an "Instructor A" and would not tell =
> >him who has it. We have been trying to contact "Instructor A" for =
> >several days (he's an adjunct, so is difficult to contact), but to no =
> >avail. Instructor B challenged our privacy policy and inquired if the =
> >"library privacy act" applied to academic media libraries. I said that =
> >it did, but would ask other academic media libraries about their privacy =
> >policies. Are we being too rigid about who knows what someone else has =
> >checked out?=20
> >Thanks in advance for your input.
> >Gail B. Fedak
> >Manager, Instructional Media Resources
> >Middle Tennessee State University
> >Murfreesboro, TN 37132
> >phone 615-898-2740
> >fax 615-898-2530
> >email gfedak@mtsu.edu
> >=20
> >
> >------=_NextPart_000_0115_01C2C6E4.A3E98AF0
> >

>I would like to find out if our privacy =
> >policy is=20
> >appropriate or if we are being unnecessarily cautious. When a video is =
> >checked=20
> >out to Instructor A, and Instructor B comes to check out the=20
> >same video while Instructor A has it, we do not =
> >tell Instructor B=20
> >who has it. Because both instructors are probably using the same video =
> >in each=20
> >of their classes, although not necessarily on the same day at the =
> >same=20
> >hour, we will call Instructor A to ask if s/he can return =
> >the=20
> >program early so Instructor B can also use it. This works well for us =
> >99% of the=20
> >time. Also, most instructors know that they can reserve videos to assure =
> >their=20
> >availability at a given time. Today I had an "Instructor B" who was =
> >more=20
> >than a little aggravated that we had checked out "his" video (one he =
> >requested=20
> >we purchase years ago) to an "Instructor A" and would not tell him =
> >who has=20
> >it. We have been trying to contact "Instructor A" for several days =
> >(he's an=20
> >adjunct, so is difficult to contact), but to no avail. Instructor B =
> >
> >challenged our privacy policy and inquired if the "library privacy act" =
> >applied=20
> >to academic media libraries. I said that it did, but would ask =
> >
> >other academic media libraries about their privacy policies. Are we =
> >being=20
> >too rigid about who knows what someone else has checked out?=20

UC Berkeley
> [...]

>availability at a given time. Today I had an "Instructor B" who was =
>more=20
>than a little aggravated that we had checked out "his" video (one he =
>requested=20
>we purchase years ago) to an "Instructor A" and would not tell him =
>who has=20
>it. We have been trying to contact "Instructor A" for several days =
>(he's an=20
>adjunct, so is difficult to contact), but to no avail. Instructor B =
>
>challenged our privacy policy and inquired if the "library privacy act" =
>applied=20
>to academic media libraries. I said that it did, but would ask =
>
>other academic media libraries about their privacy policies. Are we =
>being=20
>too rigid about who knows what someone else has checked out?=20

Gail B. Fedak
Manager, Instructional =