movie title

TMontri (tmontri@toledolibrary.org)
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:05:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

No porno talk for this question...
One of our branch librarians is looking for a film title of a movie which
features a twenty-something man joining forces with an older man (possibly a
father) in the fight for civil-rights. The ending scene shows them entering
a voting facility together. No more clues unfortunately. None of my usual
sources was of any help. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tracy Montri
Toledo PL

-----Original Message-----
From: MileFilms@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list
Sent: 1/24/03 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: copyright question

--part1_104.2595fb02.2b62feb9_boundary

In a message dated 1/24/03 3:03:15 PM, sammons@ocpl.lib.ny.us writes:

> Thanks for the explanation.=A0 I guess I know this to be true, and
then I'=
ll
> read something and I think there's a loophole I can make use of and
have a
> movie night after all!=A0 Bottom line for me and lots of public
library
> librarians, is that our budgets are so restricted that it's hard to
> maintain a decent video collection let alone purchase PPRs.
>=20
Well, the best way my wife and I got past this (though lack of
projection=20
equipment, not PPR, is the real problem at the moment) was to start a
real=20
class on film study at the local school for sixth to eighth graders.
Once a=20
week, we watch a few favorite short films or clips from feature films=20
(Porter, McLaren, Keaton, Starewicz, Carol Reed, David Byrne,
Wachowski=20
Brothers, etc.), work on flipbooks, zoetropes, draw on film, and there's
an=20
actual (or, at least, a hopeful) educational contribution to the
community=20
and no ppr is needed! We just started last month, and it's a very
small=20
class, but we hope to have it grow over the next few years. There are
many=20
such programs in schools and communities around the country. A film
society=20
is still a vital cultural element in any community, but media education
of=20
school age kids brought up on TV might even be more important.

I'm sure your local school could work together with the public library
on=20
something like this -- even if the class from school meets at the
library,=20
I'm sure no distributor in their right mind would object.=20

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_104.2595fb02.2b62feb9_boundary

In a message dated 1/24/03 3:03:15 PM, sammons@ocpl.lib.ny.us writes:

Thanks for the explanation.=A0 I guess I know this to be true= , and then I'll
read something and I think there's a loophole I can make use of and have a movie night after all!=A0 Bottom line for me and lots of public library
librarians, is that our budgets are so restricted that it's hard to
maintain a decent video collection let alone purchase PPRs.

Well, the best way my wife and I got=20= past this (though lack of projection equipment, not PPR, is the real problem= at the moment) was to start a real class on film study at the local school=20= for sixth to eighth graders. Once a week, we watch a few favorite short film= s or clips from feature films (Porter, McLaren, Keaton, Starewicz, Carol Ree= d, David Byrne, Wachowski Brothers, e= tc.), work on flipbooks, zoetropes, d= raw on film, and there's an actual (or, at least, a hopeful) educational con= tribution to the community and no ppr is needed! We just started last month,= and it's a very small class, but we hope to have it grow over the next few=20= years. There are many such programs in schools and communities around the co= untry. A film society is still a vital cultural element in any community, bu= t media education of school age kids brought up on TV might even be more imp= ortant.

I'm sure your local school could work together with the public library on so= mething like this -- even if the class from school meets at the library, I'm= sure no distributor in their right mind would object.