Re: adding porn to collection

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:24:43 -0800 (PST)

One of our most esteemed Film Studies professors has published a number of
books on pornography, and in particular, on gay pornography. He has headed
a programme on Sexuality and on HIV/AIDS. With his courses in mind, we have
purchased a number of his recommendations/requests and catalogued them
since our role is to support the curriculum. They are obviously not under
lock and key. They are documents that are used for teaching and research.
Women's Studies, Cultural Studies are also areas that deal with
Pornography.We also have a number of 16mm and 8mm porn films from the 1930s
to the 70s which have been used for research. Quite frankly, the student
demand for porn is very low. A minority of the students enrolled in those
courses actually want to review the films after class or even see them if
they missed the class. Students will try to get away with doing as little
work as possible which evidently also includes viewing porn.

Oksana

At 09:05 AM 1/28/03 -0800, you wrote:
>I can't speak to the issue of Library video collections but I will
>say that my PROUDEST achievement in the area of film archive & preservation
>was arranging the donation of several HUNDRED X rated films from the
>sixties , seventies and early eighties to the Kinsey Inst. at Indiana Univ.
>These prints were part of many, many THOUSANDS of film prints which were
>abandon in film depots and would have been DESTROYED. I believe they
>provided an invaluable resource for understanding American Culture and
>very nearly got them to Library of Congress ( which understandably had cold
>feet lest some right winger attack them for merely storing and making such
>things available to researchers). I have no doubt that rescuing and
>arranging a safe place where these films would be available for research
>will be my lasting contribution to film studies.
>
>I am NOT a librarian but as a history major gone wrong, I think it
>is ESSENTIAL to make even disturbing parts of our history and culture
>available. This does not mean that every library has to collect every piece
>of porn but it can and does have value under the right circumstances and
>should be judged as any other element of the collection.
>

>--
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>
> > From: "Mark W. Kopp" <iu8film@iu08.org>
> > Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:48:43 -0800 (PST)
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: Re: adding porn to collection
> >
> > --=====================_13024474==.ALT
> >
> > I honestly NEVER envisioned, when I signed up for this listserve, that this
> > issue would ever need to be addressed.
> >
> > It amazes me that someone would try to legitimize pornography in an
> > Educational setting, and worse yet, in an Educational Media Resource
> > Center. I took a quick look around the Internet and didn't find a large
> > selection of Universities offering Pornography 101. It sounds like your
> > "faculty member" should purchase the titles out of their budget and house
> > them in their location.
> >
> > Picture this scenario. Maureen Tripp keeps porn in her library. Down the
> > road, it will still be the same old argument once someone asks, and your
> > answer is "...oh...that's not mine...really!!!". "I keep it here just to
> > study." "No...wait...what I mean is that it's for some classes." "And as
> > Media Librarian, I guess you had to preview it to make sure it was free of
> > objectionable bias and contains content relevant to the Curriculum".
> >
> > C'mon!!!!
> > At 08:27 AM 1/28/03 -0800, you wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Well...in the post-post-mod world almost anything is grist for study and
> >> conjecture. Seems to me that the only intellectually responsible thing to
> >> do as librarians is respond to the flow. I think it's enormously
> [...]

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec