Re: adding porn to collection

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:27:16 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_4099718==_.ALT

Mark, and others...

I'm trying to keep from stepping up to the soap box here, but it's
difficult. Universities are founded and run to study and teach the
enormously broad range of human enterprise, to foster free and open
discourse (and, it is hoped, to teach a respect for such
discourse). University libraries have as their mission the support of
these endeavors. Making judgment calls about what is and what is not
appropriate for a collection absolutely must be tied to this research and
teaching mission. The job of an academic librarian (any librarian) is not
to "preview [materials] to make sure [they are] free of objectionable bias
and contains content relevant to the Curriculum". The job of an academic
librarian is to support and enhance the teaching and research mission of
the university. If pornography is taught (and it should be), pornography
should be collected.

Again...the issue here is not a collection issue, it's a public service issue.

At 08:49 AM 1/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>>access. There are a number of sticky (so to speak) issues here: if you
>>deliver porn in a facility with side-by-side viewing stations, I can
>>envision "issues" arising. On the other hand, I shudder to think about
>>providing access to porn in closed viewing rooms (whoopie!). There seem to
>>also be challenges related to circulation of this stuff (if you do, indeed,
>>circulate it).
>>
>>At UCB we have Linda Williams, the academic doyen of porn (cf. Hard
>>Core: Power, Pleasure, and the "Frenzy of the Visible." UC Press,
>>1999)...a hard core user of hardcore. We've treated the collections
>>supporting her course as special collections, with circulation
>>restrictions. We do allow the stuff to be shown in group viewing rooms and
>>have had no...uh...surprises so far.
>>

>>At 08:10 AM 1/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>> >A faculty member told me today she is teaching a course on pornography, and
>> >will be requesting several porn titles be purchased and added to the Media
>> >Services collection. Another instructor does research in this area,
>> and the
>> >way we handled his materials (all of which were old, relatively tame titles
>> >from the 40s and 50s) was to purchase them from his department's
>> budget, and
>> >house them in Media Services on reserve for him. In other words, they were
>> >never cataloged and added to the collection. The professor who talked
>> to me
>> >today doesn't like this; says they should be included in the
>> collection, and
>> >we should be "adult" about it.
>> >
>> >Our collection development policy does have a sentence saying we won't
>> >collect material with "scurrilous" content. nevertheless, I anticipate
>> that
>> >other instructors and library staff will get involved in this. I'd be
>> >interested in any comments from list members. Thanks!
>> >
>> >Maureen Tripp
>> >Media Librarian
>> >Media Services Center
>> >180 Tremont St. 3rd Fl.
>> >Boston, MA 02116
>> >maureen_tripp@emerson.edu
>> >(617)824-8676
>>
>>Gary Handman
>>Director
>>Media Resources Center
>>Moffitt Library
>>UC Berkeley
>>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC

>Mark W. Kopp
>Circulation Coordinator
>Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
>Instructional Materials Services Department
>580 Foot of Ten Road
>Duncansville, Pa 16635
>(814) 695-1972 Phone
>(814) 695-3018 Fax
>E-Address:
>mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
>See us on the Web at:
><http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org
>Click on; "Instructional Materials Services"

UC Berkeley
> [...]

Appalachia Intermediate Unit 8
580 Foot of Ten Road
Duncansville, Pa  16635
(814) 695-1972 Phone
(814) 695-3018 Fax
E-Address:
mail to:iu8film@iu08.org
See us on the Web at:
<http://www.iu08.org>http://www.iu08.org

I honestly NEVER envisioned, when I signed up for this listserve, that this issue would ever need to be addressed.

It amazes me that someone would try to legitimize pornography in an Educational setting, and worse yet, in an Educational Media Resource Center. I took a quick look around the Internet and didn't find a large selection of Universities offering Pornography 101. It sounds like your "faculty member" should purchase the titles out of their budget and house them in their location.

Picture this scenario. Maureen Tripp keeps porn in her library. Down the road, it will still be the same old argument once someone asks, and your answer is "...oh...that's not mine...really!!!". "I keep it here just to study." "No...wait...what I mean is that it's for some classes." "And as Media Librarian, I guess you had to preview it to make sure it was free of objectionable bias and contains content relevant to the Curriculum".

C'mon!!!!