RE: adding porn to collection

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:03:55 -0800 (PST)

Wow. Definitely an awkward situation for you. I know that it's not
uncommon for fulfledged Film Studies programs to have a porn class. But
they usually have their own collection (under lock & key).

Assuming it ends up being housed in the library, treat it as a special
reserve collection available only to student's in that class.

What does your library director have to say about the issue of spending
library money on the videos?

Barb

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: Maureen Tripp [mailto:maureen_tripp@emerson.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 10:11 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: adding porn to collection

A faculty member told me today she is teaching a course on pornography,
and
will be requesting several porn titles be purchased and added to the
Media
Services collection. Another instructor does research in this area, and
the
way we handled his materials (all of which were old, relatively tame
titles
from the 40s and 50s) was to purchase them from his department's budget,
and
house them in Media Services on reserve for him. In other words, they
were
never cataloged and added to the collection. The professor who talked
to me
today doesn't like this; says they should be included in the collection,
and
we should be "adult" about it.

Our collection development policy does have a sentence saying we won't
collect material with "scurrilous" content. nevertheless, I anticipate
that
other instructors and library staff will get involved in this. I'd be
interested in any comments from list members. Thanks!

Maureen Tripp
Media Librarian
Media Services Center
180 Tremont St. 3rd Fl.