Re: copyright question

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:50:50 -0800 (PST)

In all of the discussions of PPR that have appeared here over the years, I don't
recall seeing a discussion that included the issue of WHO has the PPR: does it
just apply to the library which purchased it, or do those rights transfer to
anyone who checks it out? When I worked for Films Inc in a former life, the
interpretation was tht PPR was not transferable - that is, whoever bought it
(institution or individual) can show it publicly but not anyone else. This may
not be an issue in an academic library, whereby the entire college, university,
or school could be interpreted as being the purchaser, but in a public library
it is a grey area to my knowledge. Some videos, like A&E/History Channel stuff,
clearly state on the label that they may be used for non-profit public
screenings, and so it would seem to allow anyone to do so. But what about PBS,
Films for the Humanities, etc where the PPR is not indicated on the video but
only in the paperwork from the purchase (or vendor's catalog)? We get people in
here all the time telling us that they want to show a certain video, but our
standard answer is that they should contact the publisher re rights. Any videos
we purchased with PPR we have considered cleared for Chicago Public Library
screenings only (although at any branch in the system).
Any thoughts, feedback, or definitive knowledge?

--
John Holland
Librarian