Re: Accommodating Students with Disabilities

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:34:32 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_19523986==.ALT

There is a chance that the rights owners of those Films may be willing to
work with you and allow a one-time exception.

If that doesn't pan out, you could purchase a digital copy and deliver the
titles via the Internet. If the vendor/owner does not offer the digital
version, you have been provided, via the TEACH Act, the right to make a
digital copy to allow Internet transfer as long as you provide
"...technological measures to prevent further downstream dissemination ...".

Short of that, you might consider shipping one of your copies via UPS.

At 10:04 AM 1/27/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Looking for some wisdom:
>
>Our Anthropology Department offers an online course called "World Cultures
>through Film". There are roughly 200 students enrolled each semester and
>each student is required to come to the Media Library to view
>approximately 15 films. One of the students has Tourette's Syndrome. She
>lives about fifty miles away and had been relying on family members for
>transportation to campus. Both her mother and husband recently became ill
>and can no longer drive her. She has asked the professor who teaches this
>course if she can have copies made of the films and destroy them when
>she's finished. Is there some provision in the law that I'm unaware of
>that would allow for this? Is there ANY other way we can accommodate her?
>
>Thank you!
>
>Sue
>

>Sue Parks
>Head, Media Library