RE: copyright question

Sebly, Donna (sebly@harf.lib.md.us)
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:39:30 -0800 (PST)

Dear Holly,
You do indeed need Public Performance Rights to show any video or
dvd in a public space. I wanted to begin a film discussion group in my
library and ran into the same problem. However, thanks to our wonderful
media center at the Enoch Pratt Free Library, I was able to find lots of
films owned by the library, ready for lending--free--and available for
viewing with PPR. (The program fell through for unrelated reasons.) Still,
you do need PPR to show a video in a program, even if it is a free one.

Donna Sebly
Harford County Public Library

-----Original Message-----
From: Holly Sammons [mailto:sammons@ocpl.lib.ny.us]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 9:43 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: copyright question

This has been a great discussion but I must confess I'm getting confused.
A few years ago I wanted to run a 'movie night' at my library. We'd show
a feature film, eat popcorn, then have a small discussion after. I was
told I needed to get PPR before I did this. The viewing would have been
free, we would show a video owned by my library, and there would be NO
commercial gain to the institution - merely some use statistics for the
bean counters.

Am I wrong to assume I need PPR for this sort of purpose?

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian
Onondaga County Public Library