Re: copyright question

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.edu)
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:16:13 -0800 (PST)

Just a thought, I don't think a single person watching a video is a copyright problem which may be why it is not put in there, it probably would fall under the right of first sale. The patron is borrowing the tape but not leaving the library with it. My $.02, and with inflation it really isn't worth that much.
john

>>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu 01/24/03 12:23PM >>>
No. Although some "industry" pit bulls will try to tell you differently,
it's the common consensus that single-person viewing of video in a library
is probably supportable (altho this exemption not explicitly addressed in
the C law). Multiple viewers of a video are, obviously, more problematic...

UC Berkeley