Re: copyright question

Robert Mink (rmm430@hotmail.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:10:14 -0800 (PST)

Is there an need for a PPR for patrons to veiw videos circulated at the
library?

From: Marilyn Huntley <mhuntley@hamilton.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: copyright question
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:33:17 -0800 (PST)

Holly,
Gary answered you thoroughly, in 3 words. This will be longer!

You were absolutely correct about needing PPR for a free movie showing in
your public library. I can think of 3 basic ways for your library to show a
movie legally, with PPR, depending on the particular video you're showing
and the kind of advertising you want to do.

1) If you purchased it from a distributor/vendor whose video sales include
PPR, you may advertise and show it without further ado. If you don't know
the PPR status of the video, maybe someone in the Onondaga County Public
Library system has compiled a list of holdings that are known to be okay
for public performance. I know that your neighbor, the Mid-York Library
System, provides such a list to their member libraries.
2) Your library may purchase an annual umbrella license from the MPLC,
which will permit you to show videos from their list of cooperating motion
picture studios and independent producers. However, you may not charge
admission or advertise actual titles. Look them up here -
http://www.mplc.com/index2.htm
3) If it's a home-use video that's not from an MPLC affiliate and/or you
want to advertise the title of the film, you need to locate the distributor
who holds the PPR rights, and purchase from them a license for each showing.

We've discussed this question again and again. But that's beauty of this
listserv. There are always new members joining us, and even we seasoned
veterans find ourselves facing new twists on the same old questions.

I'm on this list because of my job as media rental coordinator for this
college, and I've learned all about PPR from you folks. Now I can be the
wet blanket on the board of trustees of my local public library who pipes
up in a meeting and says, "Hey, we can't do that!" In fact, just last night
I took to our board meeting a copy of the MPLC brochure, to document my
most recent attempt at explaining to skeptical colleagues just why it is
that we can't have a movie night at the library.
Marilyn Huntley

At 06:43 AM 1/24/03 -0800, Holly wrote:
>This has been a great discussion but I must confess I'm getting confused.
>A few years ago I wanted to run a 'movie night' at my library. We'd show
>a feature film, eat popcorn, then have a small discussion after. I was
>told I needed to get PPR before I did this. The viewing would have been
>free, we would show a video owned by my library, and there would be NO
>commercial gain to the institution - merely some use statistics for the
>bean counters.
>
>Am I wrong to assume I need PPR for this sort of purpose?
>--
>Holly Sammons, Librarian
>Onondaga County Public Library

(Film Scheduling & Rentals)
Audiovisual Classrm Svcs, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd, Clinton NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687