Re: copyright question

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:35:22 -0800 (PST)

--part1_1cd.a24b41.2b619db6_boundary

In a message dated 1/23/03 1:28:38 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:

> The bottom line:=A0 Tell your vendor to take a leap.=A0 You ain't the pers=
on=20
> who needs the performance rights,=A0 your patron is.
>=20
As usual with Gary, I would agree him. Except.

I suspect that a case could be made that the library could be held=20
responsible if they knew what was happening, but beyond Disney and the=20
Chaplin estate, honestly folks, who else would sue? But if a library lends a=
=20
patron a tape knowing that they'll be used illegally, does the library have=20
an ethical issue here?=20

What if the library knows that a person is borrowing CDs or DVDs, duplicatin=
g=20
them, and is bootlegging the copies on Ebay?=20

In New York City, where this has been a long-time problem for the Donnell=20
Media Center, they stop lending to patrons who use the materials improperly.=
=20
That has been their policy and since they have a reputation for honesty, the=
y=20
get rare prints and videos because of this. =20=
=20
=20=
=20
=20

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_1cd.a24b41.2b619db6_boundary

In a message dated 1/23/03 1:28:38 PM, ghandman@library.berkeley.edu writes:=

The bottom line:=A0 Tell your vendor to take a leap.=A0 You a= in't the person
who needs the performance rights,=A0 your patron is.

As usual with Gary, I would agree him= . Except.

I suspect that a case could be made that the library could be held responsib= le if they knew what was happening, but beyond Disney and the Chaplin estate= , honestly folks, who else would sue? But if a library lends a patron a tape= knowing that they'll be used illegally, does the library have an ethical is= sue here?

What if the library knows that a person is borrowing CDs or DVDs, duplicatin= g them, and is bootlegging the copies on Ebay?

In New York City, where this has been a long-time problem for the Donnell Me= dia Center, they stop lending to patrons who use the materials improperly. T= hat has been their policy and since they have a reputation for honesty, they= get rare prints and videos because of this.      &= nbsp;              &n= bsp;              &nb= sp;              &nbs= p;               = ;               =                &= nbsp;              &n= bsp;              &nb= sp;              &nbs= p;