Re: copyright question

Gregory Callahan (gregory_callahan@hotmail.com)
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:39:18 -0800 (PST)

Interesting! At my old PL, we used to have an activities co-ordinator in a Senior Citizens home come in and borrow tapes all the time to show her residents/  We used to advise her of the copyright concerns--which she would routinely laugh off.  I decided that we couldn't determine, in any given transaction, what was for her own private use and what might be, in effect, abused.  And I advised staff to not even ask.  But since the issue had at least come up with the patron, I guess it would be possible that the library could, by some legal reasoning, be held responsible.

I had my doubts about how good--or imaginative--a activities person she must have been.

Greg