Re: Stray Dog [Nora Inu]

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:39:55 -0800 (PST)

Dear Pat,

there is a first quality print available from the BFI in the UK on
VHS/PAL or DVD/PAL, region code 2:

VHS:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/videocat/index.php/page/item_view/code/302?PHPSESSID=e3f09719c17a51e4004a0a9eb46001be

DVD:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/videocat/index.php/page/item_view/code/301?PHPSESSID=e3f09719c17a51e4004a0a9eb46001be

>From Hong Kong you can get a DVD/NTSC, region code 0 (japan. with
english subtitles) that fits the technical standards in the US in a not
so good quality:
Please check this database for more information (take "Japanese" from
the pick list and insert the english language title).
http://www.asiandvdguide.com/ There a 4 reviews about the quality of
this DVD published by Mei Ah:
"The picture quality is good, though not spectacular"
"The biggest problem with the disc -- and it's a big one, unless you
happen to speak Japanese -- is the horrible subtitling"

If you have the appropriate technical equipment you should prefer the
BFI edition.

After all there is a video available from Home Vision
http://www.homevision.com/ in the US which seems to have the same good
quality as the former LD published by Criterion (?).

"I took a peek at STRAY DOG and have to say it doesn't look much better.
There aren't as many digital artifacts, but any motion is slightly
smeared, giving it a slowed-down look. I compared my Criterion LD of the
title and didn't see the same effect." (comparison MeiAh-DVD to
Criterion LD)

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin