RE: Hen's Tooth Video

Trent Nicholas (Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us)
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:59:28 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Jessica. Yes, for example, I see Hen's Tooth offers PERSONA as does
MGM.
TN

-----Original Message-----
From: Jessica Rosner [mailto:jrosner@kino.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 10:50 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Hen's Tooth Video

Well frankly they are a STRANGE company and a bit schizophrenic . They have
LEGALLY licensed some very good films like THE NAVIGATOR by Vincent Ward but
much of their collection is basically illegal copies of mostly European
films that frankly the rights holders either don't know about or don't care
I was PARTICULARLY frustrated when they put out Bread & Chocolate some years
ago but again the rights holder (( who was informed ) just didn't do
anything. This does not make it legal just very stupid of these overseas
people though ironically THIS film was owned by studio subsidiary
As for quality, my impression is that on the whole it is not bad though not
on par with your basic legal and expensive release as they pretty much use
prints from private collectors.
Problem is you have NO way of knowing what is legal and what is not
and so you really are not in any way responsible if you buy something that
is not under legal license. It is not like Hen's Tooth is a fly by night
company so if rights holders don't pursue them , I can't have that much
sympathy

However I was totally unaware that would any of the same titles a studio
would put out. Do you have any examples

--
Jessica Rosner
Kino International