Re: Hen's Tooth Video

MileFilms@aol.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:57:48 -0800 (PST)

--part1_17b.146c7de2.2b558d08_boundary

In a message dated 1/14/03 9:54:51 AM, Tnicholas@vmfa.state.va.us writes:

> I know there have been opinions about Hen's Tooth Video company in the pas=
t,
> but I just can't recall whether it was thumb's up or down.=A0 It would be
> great if anyone can give me their opinion on quality of product: are their
> prints good?=A0 In tact?=A0 Subtitles readable?=A0 I notice they have some=
titles
> that big studios also have.=A0 How does that occur?=A0=20
> =A0 =A0 If this has been discussed too much on list serv, replying directl=
> to me is fine.
>=20
Dear Trent,

Hen's Tooth is a very odd company because they started out -- and have=20
remained -- purveyors of some horribly mastered foreign films (like I am=20
Curious Yellow) that were questionable on their public domain status even at=
=20
that time. Now with the US acceptance of the GATT/Uruguay agreement, many of=
=20
their titles they still sell are now definitely not legal -- including one o=
f=20
our titles. ON THE OTHER HAND, with the money they made on the "PD" films,=20
some of their films (like one of my favorite films, THE NAVIGATOR) were=20
actually acquired legitimately from Circle Films. Whether they still own=20
these rights might be another question...

It really is a question of buyer beware with them.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_17b.146c7de2.2b558d08_boundary

I know there have been opinions about Hen's Tooth Video compa= ny in the past,
but I just can't recall whether it was thumb's up or down.=A0 It would be great if anyone can give me their opinion on quality of product: are their prints good?=A0 In tact?=A0 Subtitles readable?=A0 I notice they have some t= itles
that big studios also have.=A0 How does that occur?=A0
=A0 =A0 If this has been discussed too much on list serv, replying directly<= BR> to me is fine.

Dear Trent,

Hen's Tooth is a very odd company bec= ause they started out -- and have remained -- purveyors of some horribly mas= tered foreign films (like I am Curious Yellow) that were questionable on the= ir public domain status even at that time. Now with the US acceptance of the= GATT/Uruguay agreement, many of their titles they still sell are now defini= tely not legal -- including one of our titles. ON THE OTHER HAND, with the m= oney they made on the "PD" films, some of their films (like one of my favori= te films, THE NAVIGATOR) were actually acquired legitimately from Circle Fil= ms. Whether they still own these rights might be another question...