RE: 4 film searches, with public performance

Mark W. Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:32:19 -0800 (PST)

--=====================_26983551==.ALT

I am not sure what Movie Licensing USA(A division of Swank) actually does,
but they aggressively utilized some real scare tactics on several of my
School Districts. Several vendors told me that what they do is somewhat
unethical, but not necessarily illegal.

Any input from you copyright gurus?

Mark
***************************************

At 11:58 AM 1/13/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear Marilyn,
> You probably already know this, but the two Public Performance
>companies I know of are as follows:
>
> Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC)
> contact: Alex (800-462-8855, ext. 3015)
>
> Movie Licensing USA
> contact: Rose Henzel (888-267-2658)
>
> Neither company has a good PPR selection for foreign films. I had
>wanted to start a film discussion group in my library, but needed ppr for
>several foreign films. I finally decided to borrow from our wonderful Enoch
>Pratt Free Library media center, which owns the public performance rights to
>all of its 16 mm films and many of its videos and dvds. I gave up on
>finding a way to get a license for the videos I had hoped to show. Good
>luck in your search.
> (This is my very first time replying on this listserv, so I hope the
>message gets through, etc.)
>
>Donna Sebly
>Harford County Public Library
>sebly@harf.lib.md.us