RE: DVD's and CD's

Teresa Kong (teresak@hkbu.edu.hk)
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:02:25 -0800 (PST)

We have the same problem, and we are trying to replace the cases with
sharp knobby rings with those having blunt edges. We also tailored made
some ring labels with our University logo to cover the centre part of
the discs, this is to cover the minor breaks in the centre and to add a
protective layer to them. We don't know yet what the result would be,
since we are just starting to do so. However, we are positive that the
damage rate will become less.

Teresa Kong
Assistant Librarian
Hong Kong Baptist University Library
34 Renfrew Road
Kowloon
Hong Kong
Email: teresak@hkbu.edu.hk

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Holly Sammons
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 1:31 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: DVD's and CD's

We have over a thousand circulating dvds in our collection, and by far
the
biggest offender seems to be the packaging. (Theft rate is also high
due
to the resale market) The knobby thing in the middle of the case breaks
and the dvd gets scratched flying around inside the case!

I would love to hear from any libraries who have found better packaging
methods? Our problem is everything has to fit in our security cases so
our choices are limited.

Thanks.

--
Holly Sammons, Librarian